Marlene S. Garvis
AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Paralegal: Ellen Dorow
Marlene S. Garvis is a partner with Jardine, Logan & O’Brien, P.L.L.P. She focuses her practice on representing clients in litigation-related and administrative proceedings for employment, health law, professional liability, product liability, and licensing and disciplinary matters. Ms. Garvis also consults with clients on issues related to human resources, health care practices and policies, patient care issues, health care plans, and related matters of concern. In addition to representing clients, Ms. Garvis is on the State Court Neutral Roster for Arbitration and Mediation.
Along with her practice, Ms. Garvis is an active member of the legal community in Minnesota and nationally. She was the first nurse attorney and graduate of Hamline University School of Law to become President of the Hennepin County Bar Association (2005-06). She is also a Past-President of the Hennepin County Bar Foundation (2000-02), the Minnesota Women Lawyers (1991-92), and of the State Board of Continuing Legal Education (2004-10).
Currently, Ms. Garvis is the Vice Chair of the Federal Bar Association Health Law Section, a Vice Chair of an ABA Health Law Section Interest Group, a member of the Executive Council of the Metropolitan Bar Caucus of the ABA National Conference of Bar Presidents, the Chair of the state-wide Battered Women’s Legal Advocacy Project, Co-chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association’s Diversity Implementation Task Force, and a member of The American Association of Nurse Attorneys, the NCPB Diversity and Communication Committees, the Defense Research Institute, Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, Hennepin and Ramsey County Bar Associations, and the Warren Burger Inn of Court.
As an adjunct professor at Hamline University School of Law and the University of Minnesota School of Nursing, Ms. Garvis uses her extensive background and experience to teach students about the complex relationships between the law and the health care system. In addition, Ms. Garvis has authored numerous articles on substantive topics related to her practice areas in legal, nursing and medical publications.
- Freihammer v Powers, 2010 Minn. App. Unpub. LEXIS 546 (June 15, 2010), cert. denied Jan. 10, 2011
- Hickman v. Safeco Ins. Co. of America, 695 N.W.2d 365 (Minn. 2005)
- Lundquist v. Rice Memorial Hosp., 121 Fed. Appx. 664 (8th Cir. 2005)
- Pippert v. Gundersen Clinic, Ltd., 300 F.Supp.2d 870 (N.D. Iowa 2004)
- Witt v. Metropolitan Life Ins. Co., 2004 WL62717 (D. Minn. 2004)
- Stodgell v. City of Warroad, 2003 WL 22136081 (Minn. App. 2003)
- In re Appeal of Sharon O’Boyle, 655 N.W.2d 331 (Minn. App. 2002)
- Teichner v. Cunningham Field & Research, Civ. No. 01-1228 (D. Minn. 2001)
- D.R.W. v. State Dept. of Health, 2001 WL 1187092 (Minn. App. 2001)
- Wilson v. Stock Lumber, 2001 WL 1182796 (Minn. App. 2001)
- Blaylock v. Hynes, Civ. No. Civ. No. 01-52 (D. Minn. 2001)
- Buck v. St. Paul Ramsey Medical Center, 1996 WL 636182 (Minn. App. 1996)
- Peller v. Harris, 464 N.W.2d 590 (Minn. App. 1991)
- C.A.U. v. R.L., 438 N.W.2d 441 (Minn. App. 1989)
To view Marlene’s full resume in PDF format click here Full Resume
The full resume includes additional information including the following categories:
- Honors and Distinctions
- Professional Affiliations
- Published Works
- Seminars Taught
- Professional Associations and Memberships