Michael P. Goodwin
Paralegal: Deanne Wavra
Mike Goodwin is an associate with Jardine, Logan & O’Brien, P.L.L.P. He joined the firm in 2011 and practices principally in the areas of:
- Government Liability
- Personal Injury Defense
- Civil Litigation Defense
- Insurance Coverage
- Products Liability
- Employment Law
Government Liability. Mike represents school districts, cities, and counties in matters related to data practices, discrimination, police practices, civil rights, and other areas of municipal liability. He has significant experience in matters related to disability rights, including claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Rehabilitation Act, Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act, and Minnesota Human Rights Act. Prior to joining the firm, Mike gained experience in school law matters as an AmeriCorps VISTA member with Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services (SMRLS). He also worked as a law clerk in the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office on issues related to government liability, data practices and employment law.
Personal Injury Defense. In the area of personal injury defense, Mike represents landowners, contractors, restaurants, commercial tenants, and others in actions arising out of personal injury claims. Mike’s work in this area includes the successful defense of a business owner in a personal injury claim arising out of a fight on the business’ property. Mike was part of a trial team that obtained a defense verdict, which was affirmed on appeal. Mike also successfully represented a construction contractor in a case arising out of a fire loss at commercial building, obtaining summary judgment in favor of the contractor, which was affirmed on appeal.
Civil Litigation Defense. Mike has experience in a wide range of civil litigation matters, including insurance coverage, employment law, products liability, automobile liability and premises liability. He is also a member of the firm’s appellate practice group.
Mike is an active member of a number of professional organizations, including the Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA), the Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association (MDLA), and the Defense Research Institute (DRI). As the co-chair of the Minnesota Chapter of the Federal Bar Association’s Communications Committee, Mike is involved in writing and editing the Chapter’s award-winning newsletter. Mike also helped edit the DRI Government Liability Committee’s 50-state government tort law compendium. Additionally, Mike served as Outreach Committee Co-Chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association’s New Lawyers Section, where he helped the section develop strategies for growing its membership and helped draft the Section’s first social media guidelines. He is also a regular contributor to the blog, JDs Rising.
Mike was born in Sioux City, Iowa. While attending law school, he was on the Board of Editors of the Hamline Law Review and completed a judicial externship with U.S. District Judge Donovan W. Frank. Prior to attending law school, Mike was a newspaper reporter.
- Represented a business in personal injury claim arising out of a fight at a restaurant. Obtained complete defense verdict after seven-day jury trial. Verdict affirmed on appeal.
- Represented insurer in declaratory judgment action. The plaintiff, a resort and its owner, had argued that it was entitled to automobile liability coverage under a commercial general liability policy because the policy’s automobile exclusion was not physically delivered during the policy year in which the accident occurred. The court rejected plaintiff’s argument, and held that the insurer was entitled to summary judgment.
- Represented building contractor in claims arising out of an arson fire at a commercial building in St. Paul. Obtained summary judgment dismissal in favor of client. Judgment was affirmed on appeal.
- Minnesota (2009)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota (2011)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit (2012)
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D., cum laude (2009)
- Augustana College, B.A., cum laude (2000)
- First place, Bert W. Levit Writing Contest, American Bar Association Standing Committee on Lawyer’s Professional Liability and Long & Levit L.L.P. (2010)
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association (MDLA) (Employment Law Committee, Government Liability Committee, Member, 2011 to Present)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) (Government Liability Committee, Labor and Employment Law Committee, Appellate Practice Committee, Member, 2012 to Present)
- Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) ( New Lawyers Section – Outreach Committee Co-Chair 2010-2012, Publications Committee 2009 – Present, Member, 2009 to Present)
- American Bar Association (ABA) (Section of Litigation – Appellate Practice Committee, Employment and Labor Relations Committee, Member, 2011 to Present)
- Federal Bar Association (FBA) Minnesota Chapter (Communications Committee, Co-chair, 2013 to Present)
- “Local Rule Amendments Modify Civil Motion Practice,” Bar Talk – FBA Minnesota Chapter Newsletter (Fall 2012)
- “Ex Parte Contacts with Former Employees,” Minnesota Defense (Winter 2012)
- “The ADA and Employer Websites,” ABA Section of Litigation Employment and Labor Relations Newsletter (Fall 2011)
- “The Fifth Amendment,” JLO Legal-Ease Newsletter (Spring 2011)
- “TTAB to Revisit Redskins Trademarks,” ABA TIPS Intellectual Property Committee Newsletter (Winter 2010)
- “Local Rule Amendments Modify Civil Motion Practice,” Bar Talk – FBA Minnesota Chapter Newsletter (Fall 2010)
- “Courts Split on Whether ‘Plausibility’ Standard Applies to Affirmative Defenses,” Bar Talk – FBA Minnesota Chapter Newsletter (Fall 2010)
- “Supreme Court Decision Focuses on Cameras,” Bar Talk – FBA Minnesota Chapter Newsletter (Spring 2010)
- “A National Security Puzzle: Mosaic Theory and the First Amendment Right of Access in the Federal Courts,” 32 Hastings Comm. & Ent. L.J. 179 (2010)
- 2013 Minnesota Civil Rules Update– JLO In-House Training (June 19, 2013)
- Hot Topics in School Law – National Business Institute (June 10-11, 2013)
- Practicing in Federal Court, Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association (MDLA) Mid-Winter Conference, February 2013
- Medical Expense Damages, Collateral Sources, and Subrogation: A Primer on Minnesota and Wisconsin Law, Jardine, Logan & O’Brien Webinar, May 2012