- Health care professionals, such as: physicians, nurses, dentists, chiropractors, counselors, pharmacists, physical therapists, psychologists, social workers, veterinarians, and administrators
- Hospitals and clinics
- Urgent care / Acute care facilities
- Long term care facilities
- Assisted living and home care facilities
- Residential and day treatment programs
- Chemical dependency programs
- Group homes
We represent health care professionals and medical facilities on a broad range of health care related legal services, including:
- Defense on medical negligence/professional liability claims
- Representation in licensing, disciplinary, and regulatory proceedings
- Defense on claims of sexual abuse, physical abuse, and boundary issues
- Representation on drug and medical product liability cases
- Consultation and representation on employment matters
Professional Liability Defense. When claims of medical negligence arise, our experienced attorneys protect the interests of health care professionals, as well as clinics and other medical facilities in state and federal courts throughout Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. The Health Law team is led by an experienced nurse attorney, who has significant trial experience in defending professional liability claims.
Long Term Care. In the area of long term care, the health law group assists clients to resolve pre-suit claims and vulnerable Adult or neglect investigations pending with administrative agencies. We also represent the health care professionals before disciplinary Boards. Our representation is provided to small and medium facilities throughout Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa as well as large national companies. We defend against all types of claims including those frequently brought for failure to prevent pressure ulcers, falls, assess serious medical conditions, medication errors, and injuries from equipment failures.
Licensing, Disciplinary, and Regulatory Proceedings. Jardine, Logan & O’Brien attorneys represent health care professionals and corporate health care clients in disciplinary and administrative proceedings before state licensing boards, and various agencies such as representing the Department of Health and Human Services, the Office of Health Facility Complaints and others.
Our philosophy is to take a proactive approach to minimize the potential negative impact of adverse disciplinary or licensing findings. To reduce the impact, we strive to be involved early with the process to assist our clients to ensure that the appropriate agencies are provided with accurate and complete information.
We provide representation before licensing and regulatory agencies on all phases of the administrative process, including investigation, hearings and post-hearing appeals. We have handled administrative law matters that include:
- Practicing outside the scope of licensure
- Failure to follow polices and procedures
- Failure to adhere to professional boundaries
- Medication errors
- Diversion of drugs
- Mental and physical impairment
- HIPAA violations
- Delegation and supervision issues
- Neglect and abuse determinations
Health Law Consulting. Our Health Law attorneys consult with clients on issues related to specific health care practices and policies and patient care, as well as patient complaints and other human resource matters of concern. We are experienced in assisting health care providers to achieve effective and appropriate risk management strategies by:
- Performing internal investigations and risk management assessments and consultations
- Providing in-service education on a variety of medical legal topics
- Developing in-house policies and procedures that comply with state and federal laws and regulations
Our attorneys also help clients address the unique employment issues found in health care settings, facilitating achievement of institution and employee-related goals while reducing risks of litigation for clients.
We are actively involved in state and national organizations that focus on the medical-legal issues facing the health care and long term care industry today, and present at continuing education conferences. Our Health Law team includes a nurse attorney who is also an adjunct professor at Hamline University School of Law in its Health Law Institute. Our health law attorney is actively involved in the following:
American Association of Nurse-Attorneys, American Bar Association-Health Law Section, American Health Lawyers Association, Federal Bar Association-Health Law Section, Iowa Bar Association-Health Law Council, Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association Medical Liability Committee, Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association Long Term Care Committee, Minnesota Society of Health Risk Management, University of Minnesota School of Nursing, Adjunct Professor, The Long Term Care Risk Forum.