Associate Attorney with experience in civil litigation and/or workers’ compensation. Excellent communication skills and writing skills required. Insurance defense experience a plus. Our firm offers an extensive history of providing excellent legal services to our clients. This is an exciting opportunity for a bright and energetic attorney to work with an established law firm. Salary commensurate with experience.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Keep regular hours, plus extra hours as needed, so as to be accessible to respond to client phone inquiries and inquiries from other attorneys and support staff. Communicate effectively to clients, claims adjusters, and opposing attorneys.
- Spend significant amount of time reading and analyzing/evaluating correspondence, legal pleadings, legal briefs, medical records, expert reports, and other related documents.
- Review and evaluate new and existing files, legislation and case law. Analyze complex factual and medical histories and recognize legal issues. Advise clients of options to pursue with respect to investigation, litigation, settlement, and evaluation of claims, pointing out the disadvantages and advantages of each scenario.
- Prepare for and take depositions of witnesses, including hostile witnesses, adverse parties, and experts.
- Adhere to strict time constraints and meet the deadlines imposed by rules, statutes, the court and/or supervising attorney, and file the necessary pleadings in a timely fashion. Manage a complex calendar of appointments and deadlines.
- Prepare for and attend arbitrations, mediations, settlement conferences, pre-trial conferences, depositions, and trials as scheduled by the court.
- Engage in appellate work, including review of transcripts, exhibits, and opposing legal briefs; draft appellate briefs and related papers and argue appeal.
- Handle multiple files at one time. Keep clients up-to-date on status of each file.
- Provide evaluation and counseling services to client and engage in negotiations with opposing counsel.
- Engage in pretrial discovery and motion practice; present arguments, take testimony and cross-examination at trials and hearings. Be flexible, think quickly, handle pressure situations, and be able to adapt to unforeseen developments in a variety of situations.
- Meet minimum billable requirement. Non-billable work and client development hours are in addition to this requirement. Keep daily record of hours.
- Participation in the Newsletter Committee, including writing articles; and participation in other marketing activities as directed by the Partners.
- Perform miscellaneous administrative duties as assigned by Partners.
- Participate in client development.
- Maintain all required qualifications to retain license to practice law, i.e. CLE credits, etc., and comply with the Minnesota Rules of Professional Conduct.
High School graduate or the equivalent. Prior Receptionist/phone answering experience preferred. Must be able to work independently and be highly professional.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Reports to work as scheduled Monday through Friday 8 am-5 pm.
- Individual must be able to regularly lift and/or be able to move up to 35 pounds.
- Turn off voice mail at 8:00 a.m. and turn voice mail on at 5 p.m.; answer phones as quickly as possible in a pleasant and professional manner; put incoming calls on hold until all loop incoming lines have been answered, then go back to first call.
- Transfer callers to voice mail as necessary. When requested, take clear and accurate messages and record message into voice mail.
- Place all newspapers on the waiting area table each morning; keep waiting area neat; in evening, turn off waiting area lamps, throw away all newspapers. Make sure fridges are fully stocked with soda and water.
- Mark sign-in sheet with scheduled vacations; notify Administrator of all unexpected absences and indicate same on sign-in sheet. When a secretary calls in sick, notify each attorney for whom she works.
- Coordinate reservations of all conference rooms and Zooms, making sure there are no overlaps.
- Greet clients and visitors in professional and friendly manner; notify Administrator (in advance, when possible) when beverages are needed for depositions or meetings.
- Notify building manager regarding burned out lights and other general maintenance requests; follow-up when necessary.
- Responsible for checking-in and scanning all hand-deliveries and mail; telephone secretary for pick-up if rush delivery.
- Responsible for all delivery/pick-up requests. Stay on top of each request, making sure each is completed on time. Responsible for coordinating with outside messengers filing, services, pick-ups and deliveries; make decisions to call upon law clerks/paralegals to complete jobs.
- Receive, record, scan, and route all incoming facsimile materials and outgoing confirmations in a timely manner; assist secretaries and paralegals with completion of lengthy fax jobs.
- Assist visitors and office personnel in dialing a long distance number from a conference room or the reception area; get the long distance operator, when necessary.
- Retrieve, open, sort and scan incoming mail.
- As needed, inform everyone via email of postal holidays (when mail will not be delivered to the office).
- Clean conference rooms after meetings, depos, etc.
- Assist the File Opening team with opening of files consisting of tasks related to conflicts check by research using the Perfectlaw Software and other related sources, preparing a report of their findings, and reporting their finding to the appropriate legal personnel; entering new file information in the File Rotation List, New File Memo, and docket sheet; preparing a red rope; and entering new file information into PerfectLaw.
- Assist Administrator, Marketing, File Opening, and Accounting with projects as needed.
- Assists secretaries and paralegal with sorting of filing, bate stamping, check requests, and other miscellaneous tasks when possible.
- Handles other duties, as requested: tagging binders for seminars; stuffing special mailings; ordering lunches for meetings; bate stamping; special projects for paralegals/law clerks.
- Assist accounting department with various projects as needed, including preparation of case item checks; data entry; etc.
- As needed, transcribe letters and memos. Help attorneys with various jobs.
- Coordinate activities associated with client seminars and client events (i.e., golf outings, boat cruises, etc.) and office events. Duties include: handling creation, printing and mailing of invitations, tracking number of attendees, handling facility arrangements, including golf tee times, equipment needs, meals and refreshments, etc.
- Know and understand most of the functions of the document management system (PerfectLaw). Indexes mail into the document management system for the paralegals by entering required data timely and accurately.
- Know and understand most or all of the specialized functions of Microsoft Office; keep up-to-date on all computerized functions, including Word, Liquidfiles, Fax Finder, Zoom, Teams, etc.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- Perform, act and dress in a professional manner at all times, and cooperate fully with all members of the firm.
- Understand and conform to the firm’s policies and procedures.
Please submit your cover letter and resume and Applicant Voluntary Self-Identification Form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Jardine, Logan, and O’Brien P.L.L.P. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer.